Sunday, March 2, 2014

Chicks

     It is spring at last!  Out here in the country there are baby calves, baby sheep, baby kids and at the feed store there are chicks.  So yesterday, I bought some.  They are SO cute!  I got some black sex links and some Rhode Island reds.  They seem to be happy here at their new home in my husband's shop.

     Last night, I was starting to wonder if my chicks would be warm enough.  Sometimes it is hard to adjust the light in just the right position so that they don't get too hot or too cold.  My husband said that they were fine and he told me the temperature of the chickens.  I asked him how he knew what the temperature of my chickens was and he said, "Because I used my temperature gun on them and the trough that they are in and the light and the wall behind them."  And I said, "Oh."  There was silence for a while and then he said, "Did you know that your red chickens are ten degrees cooler than the black ones?  Those black ones really hold in the heat."  I said,  "No, I did not know that."

   

No comments:

Post a Comment