Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Kale Soup

     I love kale!  I actually like the taste of it.  I am strange, I know.  Kale is very healthy and I want my family to enjoy it as much as I do so I made them this delicious soup.  The key to disguising the taste of the kale is to cook it seperately from the rest of the soup and then add it later on.  Don't knock it before you try it.  It just might be one of your favorites.

Kale Soup:

1 bunch of kale
1 lb ground beef
1 pkg turkey kielbasa (sliced)
1/2 c onion (minced)
1 t salt
1/4 t pepper
1 1/2 t parsley
8 c water
1 can kidney beans (drained)
1/2 head of cabbage (chopped)
4 potatoes (peeled & cubed)

Wash the kale and remove the stems.  Place in a saucepan and cover with water.  Bring to a boil and let it cook until tender.  Set aside.  Bring ground beef, kielbasa, onion, salt, pepper, parsley and water to a boil in a Dutch oven.  Reduce heat and simmer until the ground beef is cooked.  Drain the water from the kale and purée in a blender until smooth.  Add to soup along with beans and cabbage.  Simmer for 15-20 minutes.  Add the potatoes and cook another 30 minutes.

2 comments:

  1. I think I've had this soup at your house and it IS delicious! Today is a soup kind of day, for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used 2 kielbasa, 1lb gr. Turkey, 1-can of navy beans and 1 whole onion instead. Marty brought home some kale unexpectedly. I'll keep you posted on how it turned out! Used what I had w/ a few tweeks in the recipe! :D

    ReplyDelete