Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Honored To Be Your Friend

     I am so blessed with good friends!  At times I am reminded of just how fortunate that I am to have such wonderful friends by the way that they allow me to participate in their lives.  This week I have been thinking about two moments in my life that I have been called on by a friend.  These moments have touched me so deeply and have altered my life for good.  They have taught me that life is unpredictable.  It can change in a moment.

     The first moment that I want to share with you is about a friend of mine who had a miscarriage.  She called me one morning a few days after her miscarriage.  She was traveling with her husband to meet his family for the first time.  The phone rang while I was sitting in the living room by the window.  The sun was peeking through the blinds and shining on a plant that I kept by the front door.  I asked her how she was doing and if she had made it to her destination alright.  With a tearful voice she said, "My milk came in and I don't know what to do?"  It took everything that I had not to start crying hysterically.  I took a deep breath and told her that she needed to get some cabbage leaves to stick in her bra to help dry her up.  I don't even remember what else we talked about but I do know it was one of the longest conversations that I have ever had in my life.  As soon as I hung up the phone, I cried like a baby.  I AM HONORED TO BE YOUR FRIEND!

     The second moment that I want to share with you is about a friend of mine who was diagnosed with breast cancer.  She called me while I was folding laundry.  We had a very nice conversation.  She asked me if I would shave her head because her hair was starting to fall out from the chemo and radiation.  Of course I said yes.  That was another moment that I cried like a baby as soon as I got off the phone.  I AM HONORED TO BE YOUR FRIEND!

     I don't know why I was allowed to be a part of these two women's lives, but I am so humbled that I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment