Monday, January 13, 2014

Chai Tea

     I am not a morning person.  If it were up to me, there would be no noise and no one would speak to me before 10:00am.  Of course, that is not reality so I do what I must to get by.  One thing that helps is caffeine.

     Several years ago a dear friend of mine gave me this creamy, delicious chai tea while I was visiting at her home.  I asked for the recipe and I make it often.  It makes a large batch, so if you want to share with others you can.  I like to make the recipe for Christmas and put it in Mason jars with a cute bow to give as gifts.  It is always a big hit and I am always asked for the recipe.

     This tea reminds me of the Oregon Chai that comes in the purple box that you would find in the store.  It is creamy and tastes like you are eating a piece of pumpkin pie.  In the past, I have ordered chai from a coffee shop and have been very disappointed.  Not all chai is the same.  (Be aware!  There is a nasty, watery substance out there that disguises itself as chai). This is not that chai.  I promise!  I hope this recipe will help you to wake up if you are like me.  Happy Monday!

Chai Tea Mix:

1 c. dry milk
1 c. non-dairy creamer
1 c. vanilla creamer
1 1/2 c. sugar
1 1/2 c. instant tea
2 t. ginger
2 t. cinnamon
1 t. cloves
1 t. cardamom

Combine all of the ingredients in a large bowl.  Blend 1 cup at a time in a blender until mixture becomes a fine powder.  To serve:  stir 2 tablespoons of chai into a mug of hot water.


2 comments:

  1. Will you make me a cup next time I'm over? You know I love chai too, yum.

    ReplyDelete