Friday, April 18, 2014

Camping

     I enjoy camping!  It is something that I look forward to every summer.  While I enjoy cooking and eating good food, I do not like to fuss with high maintenance cooking while I am camping.  The week before I go camping I start cooking the food that I am going to take with me.  Cooking and freezing makes quick warm up meals while you are away from home.  Here is a sample of a camping menu for a weekend camping trip:

Fri
Dinner:  hot dogs (cooked over the camp fire), fruit salad (made ahead), cut up veggies

Sat
Breakfast:  burritos (egg, potato, sausage, cheese, bacon, etc..  made a head of time, wrapped in foil & warm up on top of the fire grate)
Lunch:  sandwiches, fruit salad, veggies
Dinner:  chili (cooked ahead of time & frozen, heat to warm up on a camp stove) cornbread (warm up in tin foil on the camp fire)

Sun
Breakfast:  bagels & cream cheese, fruit salad
Lunch:  calzones (filled with beef, tomatoes, cheese, etc.. wrapped in tin foil & warmed on the camp fire)

By the time you are ready to leave on Sunday afternoon, there is hardly any clean up and you can focus on getting the rest of your things packed up.  I hope this helps you as you plan camping meals for your family.

No comments:

Post a Comment